Gerber Family VW Sand Dragster

Feel free to introduce yourself!

Moderator: sandaltered

Gerber Family VW Sand Dragster

Postby Chris Gerber » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:42 pm

After spending years at the drags trying to stay out of the sand, about a year ago I found that there are two 300 foot sand drag strips within 60 minutes from my house. It started when I went to a local VW shop and he had his rear engine VW sand dragster displayed in his shop. When I got home that day, a quick search on the internet found another rear engined VW dragster for sale in the Myrtle Beach area. A phone call was made and the funds were sent the next day to purchase the car. Our 2015 season consisted of running our two area tracks, Bull Run (Rogers, Ohio) and Tri County (Lisbon, Ohio), and a road trip race to the IOK Last Blast race in Cleves, Ohio. Our first race ended with a broken pinion in our transaxle which led to meeting our southern Ohio friend Mark Hembree. Mark replied to a request I made on Samba.com about my broken FTC style transmission and I couldn't be happier with the work he did to get me back on track. Mark invited me to meet him and step dad Bill to race at the 2015 Last Blast in Cleves. My 11 year old daughter and I met Mark and Bill in Cleves at the end of October for what turned out to be one of the funnest weekends I've had at the track in a long time. I have had a blast during my first season in the sand and can't wait to meet some more friends and do what I can to help build the sport in our area.

One more thing: Was it Mike Ellington that I talked to on the way down to IOK about picking up some tires in Marysville? If so, I wish we could have helped and please let me know if I can help in the future.

I'll try to figure out how to get some pictures posted.

Christon Gerber
Chris Gerber

Re: Gerber Family VW Sand Dragster

Postby sandaltered » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:06 am

Welcome to the site. Sounds like a good start! Nice to have tracks that close.

Yes, it was me that talked to you on the phone. I was swamped at work that day or we could've worked something out. No big deal. Look forward to meeting you sometime next year.
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Return to New Members