• Advertisement

ROODHOUSE IL MUD DRAG PICTURES

A place for our 200' friends to hang out!

Moderator: sandaltered

ROODHOUSE IL MUD DRAG PICTURES

Postby Dreher Race cars » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:49 pm

Here are some pictures from the 10-4 run-

Dreher Race cars

Re: ROODHOUSE IL MUD DRAG PICTURES

Postby thundershock » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:32 pm

Will they be having this again next year? I might go looked good.
thundershock

Postby Intruder » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:05 pm

Those pics are great. If you come to an NMRO jamboree like Lima,indy or springfield, Ill. there are 15-20 blown cars just as bad a$$ as "paper boy express"!!! plus 4 naturally aspirated classes...
Intruder

Postby sandaltered » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:19 pm

This track looks drier than what we would normally race on. I'm really surprised Johnny was getting the front wheels up.

The MRA website forum has some discussion about modifying their rules for N/A cars thanks to all the MO boys going to races like this.

The consensus was a N/A small block minimum weight of 1850 lbs. One guy said you couldn't get a 4WD car that light. :shock:
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby Intruder » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:28 pm

Sometimes I wonder why we call them mud races anymore. Dirt drags would be a better discription. Back when the NMRO was formed the weight minimums were set by taking a consenses of all the cars that were racing then and whatever the lightest car was thats where they were set. There were some other factors but thats how it happened for the most part. Back when the tracks were deep and sometimes rough it was hard to build a car any lighter and have it hold together. Its no fun to race a car that breaks all the time. When the indoor promoters mandated U-joint shields and driveshaft loops of a certain size and thickness it became very difficult to keep them from being 2000lbs.+. Blame the insurance companies for making us add all that stuff.
Intruder

Postby sandaltered » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:48 pm

You're right, the mud racers background is quite different than mine personally. They probably started in some deep hole pit and constantly broke axles, etc. etc. That's why you see these huge beefy front ends, the monster tires on the front, etc. Whereas our start was with Jeeps but shortly thereafter my brother worked for a real drag race chassis shop that did a lot of T/A funny cars and dragsters in the 70's and 80's. That's why our cars look the way they do. We got rid of the Dana 27's in favor of modified Datsun and MG rear ends and now people are using Suzuki samurai stuff because it's decent and easier to modify.

It'll be interesting to see how the mud cars evolutionize as your tracks become more and more like ours. I bet the big ass front tires are the first to go and shortly thereafter you'll see the samurai front ends being utilized. Then pretty soon somebody is gonna say why the hell do we even need 4WD anymore? :mrgreen:
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby Intruder » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:09 pm

Yea the big front tires were needed just to GET to the starting line on some tracks! I can remember pulling into ruts that would swallow up todays cars. Without the front tires actually pulling you just could not get off the line. Vera-tracs became the front tire of choice because of the excellent flotation and steering capabilties. We actually hydroplaned on top of the mud. The use of paddle tires was banned for indoor and stadium use by the big promoters, so cut d.o.t.'s became the norm. When we started running blowers we found out how weak the front drivelines were. Even now if you break anything in the back (ring & pinion, U-joint, etc.) the power surge to the front will blow out the spiders or trash the ring & pinion. I think we'll be 4 wheel peel as long as Special Events calls there races "4-wheel and off road jamborees" ;)
Intruder

Postby JMF350 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:21 pm

It still amazes me that the NMRO and MRA even have a weight minumum for there top 4 classes :roll: You have the baddest of the bad.... but you have to add weight?
Nitorus is like a sl#t.... you wanna hit it but you're afraid of the consequences.
JMF350

Postby Intruder » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:19 am

I think the weight limits were put in place to level the playing fields and control costs. Saftey is another concern. With no limits somebody is always going to try to use thinner tubing so there car has an advantage. The use of Titanium and aluminum is there for people with the big $$$. NHRA had to raise the weights on the funny cars because of mandated safty additions.
Intruder

Postby 357Bronco » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:18 pm

NMRO and other sanctioning bodies should just go 300'. There is no "mud" in mud racing anymore, and sand guys want more bite then you can get with just sand. So you end up with two racing organizations looking for basically the same thing. That's just what I think. I came from "mud bogs", from the late eighties and early nineties, my first NMRO event I went to was in the early nineties. I laughed at what they called the "mud pit", I don't believe the mud was past the lugs on my swampers. Again, thats just what I been thinking, and have no plans on running NMRO. I like the sa...umm, dirt drags :D Yes I've had a couple tonight, happy holidays :D
someone go back and get a shit load of dimes
357Bronco

Next

Return to Mud Drags